“The way to find your happiness within your chaos is by having a healthy strong body and recognizing what certain things are doing to your body.”
– Shelly Young
Drawing on her own experience as a daughter of a recovering mother and mother of a young person in recovery brings inspiration to her own journey of personal recovery. This is the gist of an insightful conversation Gail had with Shelly Young, when she came into the podcast, to shed light into what happens to families impacted by mental health conditions and substance use.
Shelly Young is the Director of Programs for The Chris Atwood Foundation, has a private consultancy serving families and individuals in crisis and is a passionate advocate for healing & wellness. Certainly, the world is in crisis on mental and health issues and by listening to this episode, you can potentially get valuable insights on how to better take care of yourself. Enjoy!
Highlights of the episode …
– How did Shelley become a family recovery consultant?
– What happened when Google asked Shelly what they could do to help families impacted by substance abuse?
– An account of how Gail and Shelley were treated and judged as parents of children with addictions and conditions.
– What advice and action does Shelly take to help people in survival mode?
– How did yoga, movement and sleep become anchors for Shelley in releasing energy and relaxing her body?
– What are the ways for nurturing oneself in the context of motherhood’s propensity for guilt?
– The story of Shelly’s experience when she signed up for a solo retreat with a person that she doesn’t even know.
– How does Shelley take off the energy that she is able to absorb when supporting people?
– The 3Rs to recovery as a final piece of wisdom from Shelly.
Where to Connect with Shelly Young:
Email – [email protected]