Society has a backlog in the understanding that drug addiction is a disease just like diabetes is or any kind of disease. There is also a stigma that society has attached to people with drug addiction, for them to feel the shame, being an outcast or a junkie.
In this episode, Gail speaks with Gary Mendell, the founder of Shatterproof, who as a parent was impacted by a child with addiction. After his son Brian died, he made a promise to his son that he would spare others of this tragedy. That promise has now become a movement, something that the country needed to bring people together for awareness of the disease.
Highlights of the episode …
– What drove Gary Mendel to start the foundation Shatterproof?
– In what ways does Shatterproof work in changing the stigma attached with drug addiction?
– How was the foundation able to change the knowledge and attitudes of people in Pennsylvania about the disease in just 12 months?
– Is Shatterproof going in the direction of going to the media or Hollywood to share stories and information that drug addiction is a disease?
– They say that there is a higher chance of addiction when started at a younger age, what should be the role of schools in educating the kids?
– Gary’s website, its impressive line up of Board of Directors and the resources and programs available for addiction treatment.
– What recommendation can Gary give to parents who undergo the same emotional experience and are impacted by addiction?
– Words of wisdom on self love and self care that Gary passed on to listeners, especially those who have the drug addiction disease.
Connect with Gary Mendell
Connect with Gail Buck: